Saturday, July 23, 2011

Four O Clocks

I have some wonderful Four O clocks growing at the back of my garden.  They are fairly prolific and I make sure I pull seedlings up when they appear where they are not wanted.  Here in middle Tennessee they reappear each year as a perennial. They can be planted from seed very easily and will produce a nice size plant within a single growing season.  And I have passed along transplants without any trouble.  They produce a carrot type root and the older the plant the bigger the "carrot".  I have been trying to identify the variety I have growing.  These were plants I enherited with the purchase of our home.  I thought I had seen the pink and yellow variety referred to as Kaleidoscope at one point  but after some additional research it appears Kaleidoscope may include some additional color variations that my plants do not. My plants may be Marbles red and yellow.  My plants seem to have no fragrance though fragrance is mentioned in many descriptions of Four o clocks.  My boys call the seeds grenades since they are black and seem to be shaped like miniature grenades and even have similar markings.  They make a great color splash when they start opening in the late evening and I occasionally even get to see hummingbirds visiting for a lated evening meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment